As researchers, we have all written hundreds of probing questions to get closer to our customers, but sometimes we all get writer's block or need a hint of inspiration.
At Voxpopme, we’ve tried and tested thousands of open video questions while collecting over a million consumer recorded video responses. So, we wanted to share our knowledge by offering some starter questions that have proven to deliver valuable, visual insights. We've put together a collection of simple, but effective open-ended questions you can use when you’re crafting your next video research project. These short-format templates will need adapting, combining or expanding to suit your specific needs but are here to get those creative juices flowing again.
We’ve segmented the question examples based on the various areas of a business to make them relevant to your particular research goals. What you do with them next is up to you...
Note: Planning to bring customers into your business using the power of video? Book a short demo with Voxpopme to see just how easy it can be.
- What would you change/improve about product X?
- Why do you choose product X over Y?
- What do you think of the taste/look/feel of new product X?
- What products do you think compare to this and how do they compare?
- How does or doesn’t this product solve problem X for you?
- What did you like most about product X?
- Imagine and explain life without product X? (ethnography study)
- Show us how you use product X? (ethnography study)
- What are your expectations/requirements of service X?
- What changes would most improve the service of brand X?
- How likely are you to recommend service X and why?
- How did you come across this service?
- What was your primary reason for using/purchasing this service?
- What steps are involved in your decision to use service X?
- What did you think of advertisement X?
- What was your favourite part of ad X?
- What emotions did the ad elicit?
- What is your favourite ad and why?
- How believable are the claims made in the ad?
- How does this ad fit with what you know about brand X?
- How unique is this ad compared to others you have seen for similar products?
- How does the ad you just watched impact your purchase consideration for brand X (if at all)?
- What makes a great ad?
- What are your initial thoughts when you hear brand X?
- What do you think brand X represents?
- Is your perception of brand X positive or negative and why?
- What traits are you looking for from a brand in category X?
- How and where do you come into contact with brand X most?
- What are the positive attributes of brand X?
- What are the negative attributes of brand X?
- How was your last experience when visiting store X?
- What did you think of the customer support in store X?
- Why did you choose to shop in store X over its competitors?
- Do you have an alternative to brand/store X and why?
- Show us your favourite section/display in store X and tell us why it is?
- When did you last go to buy a product/service but didn’t buy your intended item and why?
- Please explain if you would return to this store and the reasons for your answer.
- How was your experience shopping with brand X online?
- How easy/difficult was it to navigate the site and find what you were looking for?
- Did you experience any difficulties when trying to buy a product from mysite.com?
- What is your opinion of mysite.com’s checkout experience?
- What do you think of the online support?
- What don’t you like about your current service provider/product?
- How does your online experience of ‘brand X’ differ across different digital devices?
- What promotions come to mind when you think of season/event X?
- What seasonal promotions would you like to see product/service X offer?
- What time of year do you begin looking for product or service X?
- What promotions stand out most for you in store X?
- Please show us prominent category X promotions in store Y.
- How do you prefer to discover promotions for product/service X?
- What are your thoughts of our loyalty programme?
- How does loyalty programme X compare to the loyalty programme of competitor Y?
- Would you say brand X provides value for money?
- What are your thoughts on product X’s quality for the price paid?
- What role does cost play when purchasing product/service X in category Y?
- Does the cost of product/service give you a particular perception of brand X?
Wider brand exploration & personification
- If Brand X was a celebrity who would they be and why?
- Which make of car is brand X most similar to?
- Brands are a party - what type of party guest would brand X be?
- How has brand X changed over time?
- Who do you think to be the leader in category X and why?
- If brand X came to life as a person, what would they be like?
- Where does brand X rank amongst its competitors and why?
- Draw what you think X means and explain why.
So there you have it, your go-to database of open-ended video questions. Used your way, they will get you a step closer to the truth, revealing the all-important "why" behind consumers perceptions and a compelling way to bring your customers' stories to life.
Still learning about agile video? If you're a market researcher, looking to discover how you can use end-to-end video research to influence your business, check out our latest download by clicking on the image below...